Dec 2, 2004

Blind car thief strikes again

IOL: Blind car thief strikes again


Bucharest - Romanian police have arrested a blind man for stealing a car and crashing into a tree for the second time in one month.

Alin Prica, 24, managed to drive the stolen car 40km before crashing into a tree, according to reports.

Prica allegedly stole the car with another blind pal and a sighted friend in the passenger seat telling him which direction to drive.

A police spokesperson said: "He drove the car after instructions from his friend who could see.

"But again the journey ended with a crash. We were astonished for the second time in a month by this same man."

Earlier this month, Prica, from Izvoare, in south-west Romania, stole a car and managed to drive it for almost two kilometres by himself before smashing into a tree and knocking himself out.

"I just wanted to prove to myself that I could do anything I wanted - despite my handicap. I only crashed because I was not sure of the way home," he said at the time.

Police said they would not press charges against the two teenagers who helped but have taken Prica in for questioning.

No comments: