Aug 16, 2005

Mob scene, several hurt in rush for cheap laptops

"What started as a sale turned into a mob scene as thousands of people pushed their way through the Richmond International Raceway gates to buy a $50 iBook laptop computer from Henrico County Schools this morning. The school district had only 1,000 of these surplus computers to sell, and Henrico County residents got first dibs.
Starletta Wilson came to the sale but when the gates opened at 7 a.m., chaos broke out.

Yeah, they pushed me, look at my child's stroller... they actually pushed me and stampeded over me. Those people who are down there now were behind us,' Wilson said.

Dustin Coppinger, who attended the sale, said he saw an older man get trampled.
'An old man in a walker was trampled to the ground. Trampled to the ground... walked all over,' he said.

Dozens more were pushed to the ground as the crowd races through the gates.
A one-year-old baby almost became a victim. Her father pulled her out of her stroller.
'Look at her stroller. Her stroller's demolished. Look at my stroller, said Wilson.

Alice Jemerson was one victim who got trampled.
'Look at my knees. They ran on top of me. I just starting kicking the people,' she said.
A man who had been standing in line since 2 a.m. came to Jemerson's rescue. Bair Hossai was almost guaranteed to get one of the coveted computers.
'I'm not going to leave somebody who's hurt. It's not worth it. I could have been in the line, but I'm not going to do it, because it's not worth it,' Hossai said."

No comments: